A design discussion hosted by Paula Kennedy CMKBD, CAPS, CACC. We all know about appliances in the Kitchen, even the small ones as we just discussed this week on #KBTribeChat (May 20th), but what about in the bathroom? A few weeks ago we were talking about Zen design in the bathroom and a lot of us kept talking about that glass of wine to unwind and wouldn’t wine storage be cool in that space! So let’s talk about that, specifically in the Master Bathroom. Aside from the much desired wine refrigerator or coffee maker while you unwind or wake up what else do you think of when you think of appliances in the bathroom? When looking at the definition of an appliance “a device or piece of equipment designed to perform a specific task, typically a domestic one” we can broaden our list of appliances in this space to include anything mechanical and electrical. To set the parameters for discussion let’s subtract talking about lighting (sorry Lighting Pros, that’s a whole other discussion), let’s also avoid talking about the closet and let’s even assume we’re not talking about a Master Suite kitchenette. Let’s stick just in the Master Bathroom.
The list is extensive and growing daily! (here is a partial list to get us started, the remainder of what I came up with is below the questions) • Coffee makers built in or hidden under appliance garage • Insta-hot faucet (and cold filtered) • TV, in the mirror or wall mounted • Music, speakers, control system, wireless and Bluetooth options • Shower fog-less mirror • Recessed med cabinets with electrical, outlets, magnets, cool storage, TV, Lights • Cool storage for medicines and certain beauty products • Aromatherapy • Chromatherapy • Happy light: to help wake up in the morning or for certain regions with long winters and gray skies, like in Seattle • Phone charging stations
The Discussion Questions:
1. What comes to mind when you think of appliances in the bathroom? Keep it clean! =)
2. How do you address the added electrical requirements for these appliances and features?
3. How do you address storage for these appliances?
4. Share unique creative “appliances” you’ve designed into a Master Bathroom.
Here is my Houzz Idea Book put together for this KBtribechat.
More Ideas I came up with . . . .
• Small appliance storage/vanity cabinets with outlets and drawer storage for hair styling equipment
•Small Wine storage
• Small warming drawer for warm towels
• Towel Heater/Towel Bars
• Ventilation, humidity sensors, night lights, motion detectors, timers
• Lighting System Controls
• Shower water filtration systems
• Shower hot water on demand systems
• Steam shower
• Toilets with heated seats, night lights, washlets etc
• Motion sensor and touch sensor Faucets
• Beauty appliances
• Paraffin wax heaters
• Foot bath soakers
• Water picks
• Sonic care brushes
• Electric Razors
• Digital scale that is connected to health apps and sends info to your app to track your weight
• Tub heated surfaces
• Tub Vibration-therapy
• Floor heat
• Automation controls
Paula Kennedy CMKBD, CAPS, CACC
Seattle, Wa 425-466-4483
NKBA Certified Master Kitchen & Bath Designer
MBA Certified Aging in Place Specialist
Certified Architectural Color Consultant
NKBA PROFESSIONAL OF THE YEAR Finalist 2015
2015 Best Kitchen Finalist DList Magazine Seattle Design Awards
2015 Dwell on Design L.A. Speaker “Ignite Creativity”
Here is the transcript for this KBtribechat.